April 9, 2013
Bread is a daily staple and is one of the oldest prepared foods with an enterprising history of more than 30,000 years. Consisting of a mix of three simple ingredients namely water, flour and yeast, it is usually baked. Found world over in one form or another it is a pervasive food category that is relished and consumed by everyone.
In today’s fast paced lifestyle, the need for quick, yet nutritious food is overriding. We suggest you try this wholesome recipe which is easy to prepare and light on those allegorical ‘purse-strings’’.
· 3/4 cup warm water
· 1 package active dry yeast
· 1 tsp salt
· 1-1/2 tbsp sugar
· 1 tbsp vegetable shortening (can be substituted with butter)
· 1/2 cup milk
· 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
1. Use a large bowl, add the warm water. Stir in dry yeast, slowly and continue until the yeast has dissolved.
2. Add salt, sugar, shortening or butter, and milk to bowl and Stir.
3. Mix in the first 2 cups of flour.
4. If needed add more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
5. You do not need to use up all the flour called for in this recipe, or you may need more flour than called for. The amounts vary depending on many factors, including weather, which is why most bread recipes only give an approximate amount of flour needed.
6. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, adding small spoonfuls of flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
7. Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour.
8. Punch down dough (Also a good stress buster). Turn out onto floured board and knead.
9. Preheat oven at 375 degrees F (That’s 190.5 degrees C).
10. Form dough into loaf and set in buttered bread pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
11. Score the dough by cutting three slashes across the top with a sharp knife.
12. Put in oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and let the bread cool.
Personally, bread is a superlative means of transferring butter to the mouth, so the more the better.
Comments will be approved before showing up.