June 4, 2013
We all know what the Indian summer is like; we share a succinct and almost antagonistic relationship with it. Granted, the weather plays curmudgeon, with any activity we wish to undertake. It is thus, quintessential that we remain hale and hearty; vigour is a direct exponent of vitality.
We all have our own way of staying fit; some of us escape to the air-conditioned coolness of the gym, others wake up in the wee hours of the morn for a jog or a cycle tour, and there are those few who are just indolent.
Now we can’t force you to exercise, but we could try and entice your stomach towards a more healthy and refreshing summer diet.
Salads are fresh, light and involving. A melange of different components can create a whole new experience. So here are a few recipes, we hope you try.
Stay Fit, Stay Healthy, Stay Cool, Stay Happy.
CURRIED CHICKEN AND PINEAPPLE
· Half a pack of cheese spread
· 1 cup of Lite Mayonnaise
· 2 tsp of Curry Powder
· 1 tsp of Salt
· 6 cups of bolied chicken
· 1 can of crushed pineapple
· 2/3 cups of orange juice
· 1 cup of salted almonds
· Garnishes : Fresh Herbs, Sliced Peaches
1. Mix cheese, mayonnaise, curry powder and salt in a large bowl; stir in chicken, pineapple and orange juice.
2. Let it rest for an hour and then add the chopped almonds to the salad. Garnish, if desired.
POTATO COBB SALAD
· 1.5kgs Medium Potato’s
· ¾ tsp salt
· 8 cups of any green vegetables, you like
· ½ cup olive oil
· ½ cup vinegar
· I tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
· 3 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
· 2 medium onions, sliced
· 2 cups Cheddar Cheese
· 6-8 slices of chicken ham or bacon
· Freshly ground pepper to taste.
1. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water and cover for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into cubes.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pour part of the dressing over potatoes (olive oil and vinegar) and gently toss. Cover potato and chill for 2 hours.
3. Arrange salad greens on a platter and toss sprinkle lemon juice over.
4. Arrange potatoes, tomatoes, onions, the ham or bacon and then the cheese.
5. Sprinkle with pepper and serve with remaining dressing.
FRESH PESTO PASTA SALAD
· 500gms of shell pasta
· 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
· 1 tbsp sugar
· 1 tsp pepper
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 tsp Dijon mustard
· 1 garlic clove, pressed
· ¾ cup Olive oil
· 1 cup chopped fresh basil
· 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
· Garnish : Grape tomatoes, Baby salad greens
1. Prepare Pasta according to directions on package and drain.
2. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, mustard, garlic and then whisk in olive oil.
3. Add vinaigrette to pasta. Add basil, cheese and garnish.
TOSSED VEGETABLE SALAD
· 1 cup sugar
· ¾ cup cider vinegar
· ½ cup vegetable oil
· 1 medium green capsicum
· 1 medium onion chopped
· 3 celery sticks, sliced
· 1 jar diced pimiento
· 1 cup green peas
· 1 cup boiled green beans
· 1 cup of boiled corn
· ½ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp pepper
1. Bring first three ingredients to a boil over medium heat. Stirring often, until sugar dissolves. Remove ensuing dressing from heat and cool for 30mins
2. Stir chopped capsicum and next 8 ingredients. Gently stir in the dressing. Cover and chill salad.
3. Note: The salad can be stored in an airtight container for several days, if refrigerated.
HERBED POTATO WITH/WITHOUT CHICKEN
· 1 Kg Potato, cubed
· 200ml vegetable stock
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· ½ cup non-fat plain yoghurt
· 1 tbsp chopped dill
· 1 tbp chopped oregano
· 2 tbsp Lite mayonnaise
· 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
· 1 tsp Salt
· 1 cup boiled and diced chicken ( may not be added for a vegetarian option)
1. Bring first three ingredients and water to a boil in a large pan and cook for 20mins or until tender. Drain and cool for 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together yogurt and next 6 ingredients.
3. Gently fold in potatoes into mix ( add in the chicken for the non-veg option)
4. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours
You could check out our “Food” section for a selected range of titbits, condiments and other gastronomical leniencies.
Comments will be approved before showing up.